Experience shared with children is unquestionably fun. All the time spent is not wasted as this creates an unforgettable and amazing memory that is worth remembering. Examples of those experiences that everyone should have are reading and telling stories with children. Reading and storytelling help children in a lot of ways.
Reading and storytelling with children enable them to develop and enhance literacy and language skills and brain development. These also stimulate child’s imaginations and understanding to the world. These help them to be prepared in understanding the written and spoken words. These two activities can be helpful in a variety of ways. Reading and sharing stories can:
- help identify words, letters and language
- develop language and literacy skills
- help the child’s brain development
- stimulate the child’s curiosity and imagination, and understanding towards the world
- show the importance or value of books
- help them realize the difference of what is “real” and “make-believe”
- help them react to certain situations
- build strong and closer relationship between them
- help make memories while laughing and talking together
In storytelling, this doesn’t require to read throughout. Just by merely looking at the illustrations or pictures presented in the book, you can already share or tell stories to your children. Some might find difficulties on how to start with this exciting activity.
The below ideas or tips might help you overcome these difficulties.
- Look for interesting stories that you and your children A lot of stories have been revolving around the world. These were stories that were told and retold many times. In spite how ancient these stories are, people still love to listen to them. Examples of these stories are legends and folk tales. These are the most common stories shared. This will help you catch the attention and focus of your children. Kids love and enjoy stories with extraordinary and exciting plot and setting.
- Try to ask or look for family stories. Children also love to hear stories about their great grandparents and relatives. They eagerly want to know the life they lived. These are interesting stories that could be pass down to the future generation.
- Use your personal experiences. In sharing stories, you can also use your personal experiences. You just have to invent or include something not ordinary to your story to make it exciting and amusing.
Just remember the ideas mentioned above. Sharing stories will not be a struggle for you.
Storytelling is an activity which requires you to be fun and full of excitement. In delivering the stories, you should try to imagine yourself as the protagonist of the story. It is like putting the children to the world where the stories occur. Your voice should be void with appropriate emotions. This activity helps the development of the child’s imagination and curiosity. Same as reading, this also enhances their language and listening skills.
Reading and storytelling with children are not that difficult. All you have to do is follow and try to apply what you have learned and researched. These are activities that are not just enjoyable and full of excitement but also help you to have a bond and closer relationship with the children. These enable you and the children to talk, laugh and share ideas together. A memory that must be treasured to infinity.